Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Runaway Inflation in...Chicken Wings?

The New York Times reports that chicken wing prices are - pardon me - flying high!

Reason being, restaurants have cut back on their orders for higher priced chicken breasts in favor of wings, which are more perceived as a "cheap luxury", according to the article.

Higher demand, coupled with falling supply...you know what that means - higher prices!

In the interest of full disclosure, I must reveal that I actually have wing royalty in my blood - Drew Cerza, the Buffalo Wing King, and founder of the Buffalo Wing Festival (pictured next to Bobby Flay above), is my uncle. I have not yet connected with Uncle Drew for the inside story on the price boom in chicken wings - but when I do, you'll be the first to know, dear reader!

Perhaps its time for us to look into a futures exchange for wings...imagine what'll happen when the Chinese have their first bite! They're already crazy for KFC...imagine what a real wing with some Frank's red hot sauce dripping off it will do...mmmmm...

Hat tip to my buddy, wine expert, and honorary Buffalonian Doug for sending this piece along.

No comments:

Most Popular Articles This Month